At Northeastern’s College of Professional Studies, we’re committed to putting your bachelor’s degree within reach with financial aid opportunities including loans, grants, and scholarships worth up to $15,000.
While the process of applying for financial aid can feel overwhelming, our admissions team is here every step of the way. Follow the steps below to apply for financial aid and begin your journey toward your bachelor’s.
How to Apply for Financial Aid
Step 1: Determine your eligibility.
To receive federal financial aid, you must meet the following eligibility requirements set by the Department of Education:
- You must demonstrate financial need.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen.
- You must have a valid Social Security Number (SSN).
- You must be registered with Selective Service if you’re a male between 18 and 25 years old.
- You must be enrolled in or accepted by an eligible degree or certificate program.
- You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward your degree or certificate.
Step 2: Submit your CPS bachelor’s completion program application.
Before applying for financial aid, you must first submit your application to your intended bachelor’s completion program.
Haven’t submitted your application yet?
Click here to begin.
Step 3: Complete your FAFSA.
Once you’ve submitted your bachelor’s completion application, you’re ready to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please note, it is important that you are filling out the correct FAFSA:
- If you are applying to spring 2022 or summer 2022 terms: Complete the 2021-2022 FAFSA.
- If you are applying to fall 2022, spring 2023, or summer 2023 terms: Complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA.
You have 2 weeks before the end of your term to complete your financial aid application. After this time, you will be responsible for the full cost of your course for the term. We recommend completing your FAFSA and financial aid application at least four weeks prior to the start of the term to allow for processing time from the Student Financial Services team.
Step 4: Check your email for financial aid award notification.
Once you have submitted your FAFSA, make sure to monitor your email.* Our Student Financial Services Office may reach out if additional information or documentation is required. Admitted students (with a complete Financial Aid application) will be notified electronically of their financial aid award based on their registration period for their term of entry.
You can check on your award status any time by:
- Visiting your myNortheastern account
- Selecting Services and Links
- Clicking on “My Financial Aid Status”
- Clicking on the menu bar
- To view award, click on “My Award”
- To see if documents are missing, click on “Documents and Messages”
*Please note, eligible students who qualify for scholarships will be sent a letter upon admittance into their program; however, scholarships will not be posted on your account until your financial aid application has been completed. If you are waiting on your financial aid award and are not applying for federal financial aid, please contact Student Financial Services to let them know so they can complete your financial aid application and post your award to your account. You can contact Student Financial Services by emailing [email protected].
Step 5: Communicate any changes to your enrollment to Student Financial Services.
Once you have reviewed your award, make sure to contact the Student Financial Services office with any questions or if your enrollment plans change. We understand you may have to defer your enrollment, but it is important to let our offices know.
If you still have questions about how to apply for financial aid, please visit the Student Financial Services website to learn more. We also recommend checking out these pages to answer some commonly asked questions:
- College of Professional Students Financial Aid Application Checklist
- How to Apply for Financial Aid
- What Types of Financial Aid are Available?
Congratulations on taking this first step toward your future. We look forward to welcoming you to the Husky community!